Previously, developing or building a mobile app was a field reserved strictly for the big players. Only huge companies and expert developers could afford the costs involved in developing a complex yet user-friendly mobile app. The sheer costs and lack of coding knowledge were enough to deter any startup or personal brand owner from trying to build an app themselves.
Fortunately, the advent of no-code mobile app builders has leveled the playing field and has made it easier for just about anyone to create a mobile app. Today, tons of app builders simplify the app development process for non-specialists, and one of the most popular mobile app builders on the market is Thunkable.
This article will review Thunkable’s features and pricing and compare this app builder to other cutting-edge alternatives. You will also figure out how to use Thunkable app features without any hitch.
What is Thunkable?Thunkable is a cutting-edge mobile and native app builder that entered the technological scene in 2015. This easy-to-use mobile app builder lets you create efficient, user-friendly apps in record time.
Thunkable stands out from other platforms because it helps users develop native Android and iOS apps rather than web apps. The app’s popularity stems from the fact that it lets users build complex apps by dragging and dropping block-like logical components.
Moreover, when using this app builder, users are presented with an extensive gallery of sample projects used as templates. But you can also start new projects from scratch if you don’t like the default Thunkable templates.
Who Is Thunkable for?
Thunkable is a no-code platform built for anyone without any prior coding experience or knowledge. For instance, people who want to develop native Android and iOS apps can use Thunkable to build their projects. They can also use Thunkable to redesign or recreate similar apps and showcase their businesses online.
In the same vein, artists, small business owners, and even artists can use this platform to turn their hobbies into a fun app. For instance, teachers can create educational games that teach a wide range of topics such as reading or writing.
Artists can also create apps for entertaining art enthusiasts or showcasing their portfolios to potential clients. And since it is a no-code solution, it is reasonably evident that Thunkable is for everyone — the rich, the poor, the expert, and even the novice.
How to Use Thunkable
Whether you’re a beginner or a coding expert who has been wondering how to use Thunkable, the process is quite easy to follow. Here is a quick step-by-step guide on how to use the Thunkable app:
1. Sign in to Thunkable
You can start by creating an account on Thunkable and joining the Thunkable community.
2. Check out the Thunkable projects page
You can select how you want your projects to be laid out on the projects page. If you’re having trouble with this step, you can try out the Thunkable tutorials to get a grasp of both basic and advanced concepts.
3. Download the Thunkable Live mobile app
With the app.thunkable, you can easily preview your apps on your device. However, if you don’t own a mobile device, you can set up an emulator on your personal computer for displaying your apps.
Note: Thunkable also comes with several custom components that can be dropped directly into your projects to allow you to build more advanced features. After creating your app, you can easily share your app in an executable form or with Thunkable source codes (AIA).
Thunkable cost and pricing
Wondering what Thunkable pricing looks like? It offers two major subscription options: free and PRO.
With the free version, you get up to 200MB of account storage and unlimited public projects. However, it has a downside that most professional users may not be entirely comfortable with. With this version, you have to use Thunkable App branding, as well as their logo.
On the other hand, the PRO version costs about $25 per month or $21 monthly (when billed annually). It comes with up to 1GB of account storage and personalized app branding. Users of this version also get unlimited access to PRO components.
When and where can I get Thunkable?
You can get Thunkable just by visiting the official website and signing up. It's that simple.
What Are the Versions of Thunkable?
Thunkable has a newer version and an old version that is currently obsolete. These versions are:
Thunkable Classic is the older version of Thunkable, which was retired in 2019. With this version, you can only build mobile apps that are compatible with Android devices.
Thunkable X is an upgrade from the Thunkable old version and is a much better option for users. With this version, you can build cross-platform applications. Depending on what you’re trying to create, you can either build apps for Android or iOS devices. The only downside to this version is that it does not have the capabilities for importing an AIA file for Thunkable.
Apart from Thunkable, there are several alternative app builders that users can choose from. In this section, we will compare Thunkable with two leading competitors: Bubble and App Inventor.
Thunkable vs. App Inventor
Thunkable and App Inventor have several similarities and differences. Here is a quick comparison of these two app-building platforms.
Similarities between Thunkable and App Inventor
- They both have building blocks.
- They both have free step-by-step guides for users.
- They both offer free plans to users.
Differences between Thunkable and App Inventor
- Thunkable lets you create both Android and iOS apps, while App Inventor is limited to Android-based apps.
Thunkable vs. Bubble
Even though Thunkable and Bubble are two very distinct no-code app development platforms, they share several similarities, which include:
- They both have a free plan option. With Bubble and Thunkable, users who can’t afford to pay for the paid plans can easily stick to the free plan option offered by both platforms.
- They both offer free guides and tutorials for new users. Both Bubble and Thunkable take into consideration the fact that some users may find the concept of app building confusing and, as such, offer step-by-step tutorials to guide users through particular actions.
- They both have an active community of app builders and developers. If you’ve ever heard of the Thunkable community, it may interest you to know that Bubble has one too. Both apps have a community of expert app developers who share tips and offer helpful answers to app-building questions.
- They can both develop web apps with visual programming.
Differences between Thunkable and Bubble
There are some core differences between Thunkable and Bubble, which include:
- Native app development. Thunkable lets each app work across all mobile platforms. Once a user is done developing and updating their app, they can then preview the app using the Thunkable extensions or live app. On the other hand, Bubble does not support native app development, but it does come with a response editor that lets you preview what your app would look like across different mobile platforms.
- User management system. Bubble comes with an in-built workflow for users and connects to other external services. On the other hand, Thunkable requires users to build their user management system.
ConclusionThunkable is one of the leading platforms in the app-building industry. It offers a powerful drag-and-drop feature that lets users create any app of their choice seamlessly with no need to code. With this platform, users can build fully customizable, efficient, and user-friendly mobile applications that are compatible across all platforms.
Whether you’re a budding or expert developer, you will find it easy to use this cutting-edge app builder. However, if you’re not entirely familiar with how this platform works, you can go for other Thunkable alternatives such as Bubble or App Inventor.